Mold can be a serious problem for homeowners. It can be dangerous to humans and even to pets. Because it puts people at risk, a home that is affected by mold could drop in value and may even be hard to sell. The best way to prevent mold from devaluing a home is to remove it as soon as it becomes a problem.
Why Is Mold So Dangerous?
Mold is a fungus that can have a serious impact on the health of anyone who is exposed to it. Mold can cause respiratory problems, eye irritation, skin irritation, coughing, wheezing and other problems. People who are exposed to mold over a long period of time may develop chronic lung problems and infections. People who are most at risk for problems from mold are those with chronic lung issues like asthma and immune deficiencies. The elderly, very young and pregnant women can be particularly vulnerable to problems resulting from mold.
How Does Mold Get In the Home?
Mold grows in places that are damp and warm. Certain types of materials are more conducive to mold growth than others. Paper products, drywall, cotton, wood and other organic materials are a favored place for mold to grow. Usually, mold starts to grow in a home because the room is damp.
Dampness might occur because of a water pipe leak, excessive condensation of appliances or air conditioning, a roof leak, or simply due to excessive humidity in the home. Plumbing leaks and roof leaks are common reasons that mold develops in the home. In many cases, household pests that are attracted to wet areas will also appear. Roaches, water bugs and other small insects are often attracted to damp and warm areas where mold may appear.
What Does Mold Look Like?
Mold can be many colors, including brown, gold or gray. It can be fuzzy or slimy. Usually mold grows in a circular formation. These circles often cluster together on the wall, ceiling or floor, forming what looks like a community of mold. Sometimes mold will accompany natural stains that occur because of leaks behind the wall, other times mold will stand alone on the wall.
What Can You Do To Get Rid of Mold In the Home?
Getting rid of mold in the home starts by determining the cause of the mold. Sometimes the cause of the mold is obvious, often it is not. Homeowners who discover mold in their home may need to contact a professional plumber or roofer to determine whether the mold is the result of a leak.
Once the source of the mold has been discovered, it must be repaired, and any secondary damage (like wood rot) must also be repaired. Failure to repair the problem could cause more mold to grow later, after the site has been cleaned up.
The CDC reports that homeowners who want to clean up mold on their own can do so with warm water mixed with detergent. Scrubbing the area and then drying it completely may remove the mold. It's important for homeowners to wear an N-95 respirator, goggles and rubber gloves when removing mold. If the section of mold is larger than a 3 foot by 3 foot square, the mold remediation should be conducted by a homeowner.
Remove Mold As Soon As Possible
Mold can be a serious problem in any household. A homeowner who discovers mold in their home can fix the problem either by cleaning up the mold themselves (if the affected area is small enough) or by contacting a mold remediation expert. If you're a homeowner who has mold in your home, contact a mold removal professional today.
Though mold is a potential health hazard, it can be remediated and cleaned. Home buyers and sellers in The Lakes community in Las Vegas should be aware of the dangers of mold and know what the options are for dealing with mold.
Debbie Drummond is a Full Time Realtor with over ten years experience in the Las Vegas Real Estate Market. She and her team of Real Estate Pros offer the highest level of service. If you’re buying or selling a Las Vegas home, call (702)354-6900 or email Debbie@LVHomePro.com. They’ll be happy to assist you in your move.